Strata Identity Report Finds Most Enterprises Will Use Three or More Clouds in 12 Months, but Only 25% Can Discover Access Policies
2022 State of Multi-Cloud Identity Report Reveals Data Privacy and Identity Management Risks Top Concerns for More than Two-Thirds of Enterprises
BOULDER, Colo. May 12, 2022 – Strata Identity, the Identity Orchestration for multi-cloud company, today announced the findings of its second annual State of Multi-Cloud Identity Report which was conducted by Osterman Research.
The study found that 82% of organizations with $1B or more in revenue use three or more clouds, up from 66% last year. With the majority of companies (70%) using two or more identity systems, 75% of respondents said they lack the ability to easily discover all existing access policies. Their top two multi-cloud concerns were data privacy (77%) and managing siloed identities (66%).
“Distributed identities across scattered identity silos result in inconsistent policies when people are accessing apps, posing significant security and data privacy risks,” said Michael Sampson, senior analyst for Osterman Research. “Poor visibility of existing access policies means enterprises are flying blind — they do not know where apps are hosted, nor who has access to their data. In our opinion, the rapid adoption of multi-cloud is elevating this problem to critical status.”
The full report is available for download here: State of Multi-Cloud Identity Report 2022.
The State of Multi-Cloud Identity Report 2022 focuses on four key areas: adoption, legacy technical debt, modernization, and policy orchestration. Some of the key findings include:
- 82% of enterprises with $1B or more in revenue currently use three or more clouds, up from 66% last year
- Among smaller enterprises, 49% currently use three or more clouds. In 12 months, three or more clouds are expected to be used by 95% of large enterprises and 58% of smaller ones.
- Data privacy (77%) and managing identities across multiple clouds (66%) are the two top-ranked barriers preventing organizations from achieving their desired perfect target state of apps deployed in the cloud
- 70% of enterprises use two or more identity systems, and only 30% use a single system to manage workforce identity while 47% use two, 16% use three, and 7% use four or more.
- More than 75% of enterprises do not have the tools to easily discover all existing access policies and cited as very important the ability to ensure IAM policies are consistent across all cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.) and across the technology stack (applications, platform, data, and network)
“Multi-cloud is forcing organizations to rely on manual identity management integration efforts, which only provide limited visibility and weak controls,” said Eric Olden, CEO of Strata Identity. “Identity Orchestration software offers the missing link to future-proofing identity architectures, removing dependencies between apps and specific identity providers and enforcing consistent runtime access policies for apps across multiple clouds.”
About the Survey
Osterman Research queried more than 200 IT leaders from across North America to share their challenges and priorities for identity management in 2022. All worked for organizations with annual revenue of $500 million or more (USD).
Strata is the Identity Orchestration leader, making consistent identity and policy management a reality. Our Identity Orchestration platform, Maverics, is the only solution built for today’s distributed, multi-cloud and hybrid-cloud environments. With Strata, companies can quickly, securely, and permanently modernize applications to use cloud-based authentication and advanced identity solutions. Our unique approach enables organizations to break decades-old vendor lock-in and move enterprise workloads to the public cloud. The company’s founders co-authored the SAML open standard for identity interoperability, created the first cloud identity services, delivered the first open-source identity products, and are now building the first distributed Identity Orchestration platform. For more information, visit us on the Web and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Read Strata Identity’s State of Multi-Cloud Report 2022 on Busineswire.
Marc Gendron PR for Strata
# # #