Technical Product Manager (TPM)
Strata is a venture-backed startup building the next generation of distributed identity management for the multi-cloud world. Led by a visionary team of serial entrepreneurs (with multiple exits) who built the first generation of Web identity management, the first IDaaS solution, co-authored SAML, and now are creating the Identity Orchestration market.
This is truly a ground-floor opportunity for a Technical Product Manager that wants to have a hand in building the future of multi-cloud identity. Imagine if you were on the original team that built Kubernetes? Strata is that opportunity applied to the hottest, exponentially growing security market.
At Strata, we build software using the Pivotal Labs Agile model leveraging small stories, and test-driven development in a highly collaborative (and fun) environment. Our engineering team is a hybrid model with a development team in Vancouver paired with engineers across the US. We build Maverics using GoLang and we practice build/run with DevSecOps.
Strata’s platform—Maverics—is an abstraction layer that makes delivering identity to apps simple, all without requiring any rewriting of applications. By creating an Identity Fabric, customers can seamlessly integrate with multiple identity infrastructures enabling next-level agility and cloud-scale.
At Strata, we work closely with our partners at Microsoft Azure, Okta, AWS, GCP, and VMware to ensure interoperability through deep, native integrations. Strata’s Maverics Identity Orchestration software runs natively in the cloud or on-premises either as a native service or containerized on Kubernetes.
We build our software to be secure, scalable, and extensible.
Secure. We take security seriously and build it into the core of what we develop and how we run our platform. In this role, you will help ensure that our software and processes are hyper-secure to be trusted by the biggest brands and companies in the world.
Scalable. Strata’s customers rely on our software to secure their core business operations, meaning we need to be available 99.999%. In this role, you will architect and implement proven resiliency patterns to ensure rock-solid reliability.
Extensibility. Strata is building a platform for distributed identity management with plans to support evolving use cases that our customers bring us weekly. As such, we build our software to easily integrate with and manage many other identity infrastructure systems. In this role, you will help make Maverics the one platform to rule them all (or at least manage them all).
The Technical Product Manager (TPM) is the engine that runs our agile development process. Day to day you live in the backlog, working with the product owner to create the product backlog, writing very small stories (we think of these as placeholders for further in-depth conversations with developers), breaking down those stories with developers, working with developers on technical design and implementation, and doing story acceptance.
On a weekly basis, the TPM runs our agile ceremonies including Agile Pod scoping, project inceptions, iteration planning meetings, daily standups, iteration reviews, and retrospectives.
The TPM defines and collects metrics that help us track quality, velocity, product/feature adoption, and usability.
The TPM represents the voice of the customer to Pod members, defines and owns the detailed product roadmap, defines the product’s technical strategy at the use case level, owns the feature backlog and prioritization, and represents the technical details of the product to stakeholders.
The TPM works with customers to understand and gather detailed technical requirements, works closely with the Customer Success team to support customers, drives product adoption, and works to make sure every customer recommends Strata as a great partner with a phenomenal product (nothing like an amazing net promoter score!)
Strata is a culture-driven company based on our core values: honesty, openness, transparency, integrity, accountability, and empowerment. We live these values every day and want to work with people who believe strongly in these core values.
People with the following traits will find ready success within Strata.
- Autonomous and assertive and can apply those traits in a highly collaborative environment
- Accountable – dislikes hearing “that’s not my job” as much as we do
- Curious about the market, how emerging trends drive customer needs, and able to synthesize learnings into innovative products and features
- Willing to experiment, get things wrong but learn quickly and move on
- Passionate about customer success
- Articulate and able to make complex concepts easy to understand
- Takes joy in the success of colleagues and teammates and free with expressions of gratitude
- Acts with compassion and empathy and is always ready to help out or support a fellow Maveric
- 7-10 years of hands-on technical product management experience with enterprise products and services.
- A degree in computer science or related work experience.
- Has experience with and is comfortable working in a highly distributed, remote team.
- Hands-on experience with Pivotal Tracker, Github, and DevOps toolsets.
The ideal candidate has deep expertise in the following areas.
- Deep domain knowledge in modern identity and access management with hands-on experience using modern identity protocols and standards such as OIDC, SAML, SCIM, and products such as Okta, Azure AD/B2C, Auth0.
- Extensive experience with legacy protocols/products such as LDAP and Active Directory and deep knowledge of proprietary web access management (WAM) and identity governance & administration (IGA) technologies such as CA Siteminder, Oracle Access Manager, Ping Identity, Forgerock, ADFS, and Sailpoint.
- Extensive, day-to-day, hands-on experience running an agile development model (ours is patterned on Pivotal Labs). Have a strong understanding of how to adapt agile processes and tools to the unique needs of each Pod.
- Experience with cloud identity platforms, cloud native applications, and Saas and an understanding of how large enterprise customers use these platforms, integrate their apps with those identity systems and manage this in hybrid environments.
- Enterprise architectures and deployment patterns including HTTP, networking, web applications. Experience working within the complex environments typical of Fortune 500 IT teams.
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP, VMWare), their identity systems (Azure AD, AWS IAM), tools (Terraform, Puppet, Chef), and modern platforms (Kubernetes, Docker, Istio, SPIFFE/SPIRE). Deep knowledge of how distributed systems are built, deployed, run, and managed.
- Have specific experience making customers successful through the entire lifecycle including presales, post-sales deployments, product adoption/expansion, and renewal.
At Strata, we’re looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Join us.