Site Reliability Engineer
Strata is a venture-backed startup building the next generation of distributed identity management for the multi-cloud world. Led by a visionary team of serial entrepreneurs (with multiple exits) who made the first generation of Web identity management, the first IDaaS solution, co-authored SAML, and now are creating the Identity Orchestration market.
This is a ground-floor opportunity for an= engineer that wants to have a hand in building the future of multi-cloud identity. Strata is that opportunity applied to the hottest, exponentially growing security market.
At Strata, we build software using a highly collaborative Agile model, leveraging small stories and test-driven development in a highly collaborative (and fun) environment. Our engineering team is a hybrid model with a development team in Vancouver and engineers across the US. We build Maverics using GoLang, and we practice build/run with DevSecOps. In this role, you will report to Strata VP of Engineering, Darren Platt.
Strata’s platform – Maverics – is an abstraction layer that makes delivering identity to apps simple, all without requiring any rewriting of applications. By creating an Identity Fabric, customers can seamlessly integrate with multiple identity infrastructures enabling next-level agility and cloud-scale.
Strata works closely with our partners at Microsoft Azure, Okta, AWS, GCP, and VMware to ensure interoperability through deep, native integrations. Strata’s Maverics Identity Orchestration software runs natively in the cloud or on-premises either as a native service or containerized on Kubernetes.
We build our software to be secure, scalable, and extensible.
Secure. We take security seriously and build it into the core of what we develop and how we run our platform. In this role, you will help ensure that our software and processes are hyper-secure to be trusted by the biggest brands and companies in the world.
Scalable. Strata’s customers rely on our software to secure their core business operations, meaning we need to be available 99.999%. In this role, you will architect and implement proven resiliency patterns to ensure rock-solid reliability.
Extensibility. Strata is building a platform for distributed identity management with plans to support evolving use cases that our customers bring us weekly. As such, we develop our software to integrate with and manage many other identity infrastructure systems easily. In this role, you will help make Maverics the one platform to rule them all (or at least manage them all).
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to work on our distributed-identity orchestration platform Maverics. You will join an engineering team that strongly believes in designing for security, reliability, and scale with diligent code reviews, test-driven development, and a proven agile process to build the world’s first distributed identity orchestration platform.
Our elite engineering team is fast and creative, with a rapid, agile release cycle and individual ownership. We expect great things from our engineers and reward you with stimulating new projects, emerging technologies, and the chance to have a significant impact on a company that is changing the identity management landscape forever.
- Touch many different parts of engineering and IT to become a great source of knowledge for the organization.
- Work closely with engineers to ensure development teams have the information, tooling, and guidance they need to design/build/run our products.
- You revel in automation and are responsible for reducing manual aspects of an SDLC, or any process, to ensure consistency across our cloud environments.
- Use IaC tooling to develop an infrastructure defined through code that scales on-demand.
- Leverage your experience in observability, from basic monitoring to distributed tracing, and ensure that application performance information arrives promptly and is easily accessible (ChatOps)
- Take part in an automated testing strategy, both for software functionality and security in the build pipeline.
- Exceed the uptime expectations associated with our production environments.
- Embed with software development teams early in the SDLC, ensuring security, scalability, and observability are not an afterthought.
- Collaborate closely with product management to ensure you focus on maximizing value to the engineering team.
- Help define and be part of an on-call rotation with others in the software development teams.
- Mentor and be mentored, coach and be coached, as part of an ever-growing engineering team.
If you find yourself checking off most of the below, this could be the position for you!
- Place a high value on security and reliability, always looking for improvements through automation.
- Take an agile, iterative approach to development, dividing long-term goals into incremental milestones where you deliver value frequently.
- Have the ability to be self-directed and be effective working independently, yet feel equally comfortable contributing in a team environment.
- Work well with technical and non-technical people to deliver high-value results.
- Enjoy being part of a highly collaborative, remote-friendly environment.
- Are a great communicator and enjoy interacting with people.
- Bring a positive attitude to the team: ownership, accountability, and attention to detail.
- Possess the desire to learn and curiosity to understand how and why things work.
We don’t expect that a single candidate has expertise in all these areas. We’re looking for professional engineers who can quickly learn and adapt as our systems and situation changes rather than candidates with a rigid skillset.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years in a DevOps or SRE role where you supported production services, preferably in a SaaS / public cloud environment.
- Experience administering systems in one of the big three public cloud providers, ideally AWS.
- Working with IaC tools, preferably those offered by Hashicorp – Terraform, Packer and Vault
- You are comfortable using Git / GitHub as core tools for managing software development and the software release process.
- Substantial experience supporting web application architectures, and cloud platforms.
- Understanding of enterprise identity infrastructure and core security concerns of cloud and on-premises environments.
- Bonus points for experience with at least one standard network security protocol (SAML, OAuth, LDAP, and OIDC)
- Solid understanding of the technical fundamentals of networking in public clouds
- Helpful but not necessary – knowledge of cloud identity (AzureAD, Okta, Google, and AWS)
At Strata, we’re looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Join us.